Thursday, July 24, 2008

Death

My grandfather is dying. He has pancreatic and liver cancer and was diagnosed about a year ago. They say that usually when someone is diagnosed with this type of cancer, a 1-2 month life span is all they are given. He's lived a year.

His name is Charles Gary Gould Sr. My father is named after him (hence the "JR"). I've never known anyone else like him. He was never a big man, probably 5'10" and 140 lbs at the most. He always gave VERY tight hugs... and he could talk the ear off of a horse. He is probably one of the wisest men I know. Always full of ideas, concepts and Biblical knowledge. He told me once that the world revolves on ideas. He is kind to all that come in contact with him, always has a word of encouragement and is very smart with his money. But of all the good things about my grandfather, the thing I will remember most about him is something my dad said... "He is a modern day Abraham"... translation = he walks with God. From my father, this is an EXTREME compliment of the greatest kind.

I do not know how much longer that my grandfather will be with us, though I do not think it will be long. He cannot hold a pencil, or spoon. He can no longer talk. For his sake, I pray that the Lord takes him soon so that he will no longer suffer and will be taken to a place of no more pain. I do not worry about him.

I pray for my grandmother and her loss. She married him when she was 14 years old. This will be a lonely time for her.

I pray for my dad. He is the oldest child and only son. He is losing one of his greatest spiritual leaders, his friend, his "old man".

I will miss Poppa Gould.

1 comment:

LG said...

Shontel--I am your "Poppa's" cousin in Kansas--I still miss his voice on the phone. We connected in the 70's. I talked to Jeanie on the phone yesterday.