Saturday, March 5, 2011

Have I found my calling?

So I have been praying (off and on for a few years actually) for God to reveal my calling. I know that I am called to be Andy's wife. I know that I am called to be a mother. But beyond that, I have not known what God's path is for me.
I know I love to sing. I know I love children. I know I love my family and my pugs.
But in the past two years, through all the pain and suffering of infertility and miscarriages, I have realized something... I love children and pregnant women. Even though it hurts, I love to be around pregnant girls. I love to take care of them and help them prepare for their babies. I love to share the knowledge obtained through years of research I have done as I've waited for my turn...
So I've just taken a big step. I just registered for a birth doula class. In case you don't know, a doula is basically a birth coach... someone who helps you prepare for birth, supports you through birth and the first few hours with your newborn (assisting with breastfeeding). My classes are in July. Then I will offer free doula services until I get my certification (then I can charge $$).
I am SO excited! I feel like I just changed my life.
Andy has been SO supportive. I am so glad to be his wife.

3 comments:

Tonya said...

You are going to be AMAZING at this! I know whoever chooses you as their doula will be telling all their freinds about you after they have their baby. You are just so sweet and caring and smart. I'm so excited for you. Probably just as excited as you are. :) YAY!!! How long do you think it will take to get your certification?

shontel said...

Certification only takes a few months... basically, after I attend 3 births, do lots of paperwork, and finish my classes in July and observe some birthing classes, I can be certified. So depending on how soon I will be able to complete the "birth" section (depends on when and who...) hopefully I can be certified by fall!

Anonymous said...

this sounds perfect for you! so excited that you took this step!